January 8, 2016
My mom reads my blog and initiated a conversation about museums following my post from two days ago. And then she sweetly said "Nicola, it's a leap year. There are 366 days this year."
Ha! I hadn't even thought of that. So today's post is 366: 8 (instead of 365: 8, which has a better ring, in my opinion).
Today was a different sort of day. It is Friday today and we are ending a week that has been full of bumps. I began the week full of hope for new rhythm and a more relaxed approach to our homeschooling. I was feeling inspired coming out of the loveliest of holiday months and time spent listening to some motivating homeschool talks, but even my relaxed approach didn't seem to fit right. By this morning, I was feeling completely discouraged, and Little Brown Mouse was tired, in tears, and not wanting to go anywhere. Unfortunately for him, we had a first appointment for Lala Bug with an Occupational Therapist.
(Gratefully, Little Brown Mouse was going to spend some time with my parents, who know just how to shift and manage my sweetly quirky kiddos, and he was received with big snuggly hugs. They were planning to go on a fun outing, but apparently went back to their house and he spent much of his time snuggled up with Nonno, eating popcorn and watching soccer on TV (a total treat, since we don't have a TV). He told me he and Nonno napped on the couch, too, but I am guessing really only Nonno napped!)
Lala Bug is my creative, smart, funny, curious, intensely perceptive, anxious, highly sensitive kiddo. Little Brown Mouse has some sensitivities too, as do Hubby and I. (Yes, if you know me, you are chuckling at how little I emphasized my sensitivities there. A few years ago, my mom subtly handed me a book titled The Highly Sensitive Person's Workbook. It took me awhile to realize she meant it for me, not Lala Bug!) The Bug's sensitivities and anxieties are partly what brought us to homeschooling and that has helped immensely, as has the Waldorf approach to living and learning, which is gentle and developmentally appropriate. As she has gotten bigger, though, it has become clear we could all use a fresh, experienced view of her sensitivities and more tools in the toolbox for the times when she is overwhelmed. Our hope is that OT will give all of us some needed support. It was a hit! She loved it. I had the most fascinating time being a fly on the wall, making my own observations with no distractions or interruptions, and seeing how many things we have already done, so right on, to support her.
And afterwards, she got some much needed special time with mamma. I took her out to pizza at a local favorite that we don't frequent so much now that we have dairy sensitivities and gluten allergies in the family.
So glad everybody is getting what they need, and you sound like you have a great mama.
ReplyDelete